Officiating development and NTIS programs

Officiating in sport

The Northern Territory Institute of Sport coordinates a number of programs, and services to:

  • Assist NT Peak Sporting Bodies (PSB's) in the development of NT Officials
  • Provide advice and support to PSB's
  • Promote the importance and value of officiating to the greater community
  • Develop officiating coaches/educators/mentors
  • Connecting officiating stakeholders across the NT

Officials are an integral part of sports. PSB’s need to develop their officials via education, training, coaching and mentoring. An official’s main purpose is for a fair, safe and enjoyable environment for all participants.

NTIS officiating development program

The NTIS Officiating Development Program is available to NT Peak Sporting Bodies.

In the 2020-21 financial year, there are two rounds of funding. Round 1 opens on 1 September 2020 and round 2 opening on 1 February 2021.

The Program has two funding categories:

Category 1: Officiating Coaches/Educators
Category 2: Accreditation Courses and Competitions

Applications for Category 1: Officiating Coaches/Educators are a higher priority for funding.

The 2020-21 guidelines are currently being reviewed and will be available online closer to the Round 1 opening date.

Officiating Development Program Guidelines 2019-20 PDF (170.5 KB)
Officiating Development Program Guidelines 2019-20 DOCX (76.4 KB)

Applications are submitted through GrantsNT.

Development program objectives

  • Strengthen sport organisations to assess, coach and educate other NT officials
  • To improve the skills, knowledge and experience of accredited officials in the NT
  • To increase the number of higher qualified officials practising in the NT


For more information on Officiating contact:

Phone: 08 8922 6819

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 11 February 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.