NT Heritage Council
The Northern Territory (NT) Heritage Council has been set up to provide advice to the Northern Territory Government on matters affecting the Territory’s cultural and natural heritage.
The Heritage Council operates under the Heritage Act 2011. The Act sets out the functions and powers of the Council.
The Council meets at least four times a year.
The Act requires that the Council produce an annual report every year. Go to publications to read the reports.
Heritage Council Vacancies
Applications are currently being invited for Northern Territory residents who wish to be considered for appointment to the Heritage Council under section 128(2)(e) of the Heritage Act 2011.
Applicants of Aboriginal descent are encouraged to apply. The Minister for Arts and Culture and Heritage will appoint the members on the basis of expertise or experience relevant to the administration of the Heritage Act 2011.
Applications should be addressed to:
Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities
PO Box 1448
DARWIN NT 0801
All applications must be received by close of business on Monday 5 October 2020.
The Heritage Council has 11 members. Six are appointed by the Minister at their discretion.
The other five are made up of:
- the CEO, or a nominee of the CEO, of the Department of Territory Families, Housing and Communities
- a nominee from the National Trust
- a nominee from the Aboriginal Areas Protection Authority (AAPA)
- a nominee from an organisation representing the interests of local government
- a nominee from an organisation representing the interests of land owners.
At least two of the council's members must be of Aboriginal descent.
- Allan McGill, chairperson
- Grace Foulds, National Trust of Australia, Northern Territory
- Allison Bitar, Aboriginal Areas Protection Authority
- Toni Tapps-coutts, Local Government Association of the NT
- Allan Garraway, Property Council of Australia (NT)
- Alex Nelson
- Dr Ilka Schacht
- Eddie Webber
- Trish Angus
- Dr Sue Stanton
PO Box 4198
Darwin NT 0801
Last updated: 18 September 2020
Share this page: