Relive history at the Alice Springs Telegraph Station Open Day and Markets
The countdown is on for the annual Alice Springs Telegraph Station free Open Day and Markets on Sunday 23rd of April from 9:30am to 1pm.
The Parks and Wildlife Commission NT invite the community and visitors to enjoy the ambience of this historic location and enjoy local market stalls, food vendors and entertainment.
Senior Ranger Shirley Butler said the event was an initiative brought about by the Park Rangers to bring the community together and to celebrate the history of the Old Telegraph Station.
“Guests can enjoy a walk among the heritage listed buildings while enjoying old fashioned crafts, including lacemaking and blacksmithing, as well as demonstrations from the Alice Springs Amateur Radio Club and entertainment from the Sing Australia Choir,” said Ms Butler.
“The Telegraph Station Open Day and Markets is a wonderful day to get together with friends and family. Browse the fabulous collection of Alice Springs made crafts and homewares while enjoying great food from various cuisines and cultures. For those with a sweet tooth enjoy ice-creams or tea and scones. View all this and more while the children play old fashioned games”
“Being founded on Morsecode, visitors can see the old Post Office and meet members of the Morscodian Fraternity, as well as sending telegrams by Morsecode to family and friends – all for a gold coin donation,” Ms Butler added.
Those attending are encouraged to cycle to the event, with Ranger Susie Armes providing a guided ride leaving from outside the Totem Theatre to the Telegraph Station via the parks Riverside Walk. The guided ride leaves at 9am sharp from Totem Theatres, just west of Anzac Oval carpark.
- Mr Nippy’s Ice-cream
- Desierto Mexicano: burritos, tacos, nachos
- Glitter Crystal: Fairy Floss, Face painting and balloons
- Curry Club: Curries
- Brailting Childcare: BBQ
- Boyles: Waffles and Crepes with ice cream
- Pinoy Corner: Asian cuisine
- Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic College (OLSH); Tea and Scones in the Telegraph Station kitchen and school room
- The Roaming Barista; Donuts
- Dorita Empanadas; Argentinean style pastries
- Country Women’s Association; Jam making demonstration and jam for sale
- Kunga’s Can Cook; Bush foods and products
- Trail Station; Coffee and a variety of food
- Scouts – Drinks and information about Scouting in Alice Springs
- Land for Wildlife – Information
- Northern Territory Ranger Association; Information and Drinks
- Friends of the Larapinta Trail
- Hamilton Downs Youth Camp
- Alice Springs Library
- Ilparpa Claypan Lovers
- Alice Springs Australian Plant Society
- Australian Labour Party
- Friends of the Desert Park
Craft and Homewares:
- Sugar and Spice; Baby Clothes and accessories
- Phoenix Trading; handmade greeting cards, stationery and wrapping paper
- Janine Sparke; Second hand books
- Table Art; Homewares, table runner’s, mugs and scarves
- Western Desert Dialysis (Purple House); Bush balms
- Book bands; Flexible book bands
- The Number 7; Jewellery, cloths and crafts
- Choas Cottage; See a weaving loam in action and crafts
- DPC Arts; Goods from India
- Anmatyere Arts; Paintings
- My Healing Touch; Holistic Health and Products
- St Johns Ambulance
- Alice Springs Amateur Radio Club; Radio demonstration
- Sing Australia; Singing Australian Songs
- Morsecodian Fraternity old Post Office; Visit volunteers and send a telegram via morsecode to family and friends
- Old Fashioned Children’s Games with Ranger Susie
Presentation on the role of Town Crier by Meredith Campbell
Guests can join the Open Day and Market event on Facebook at the Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife page for updates and automatic reminders closer to the day.
The Alice Springs Telegraph Station Open Day and Markets runs from: 9.30am-1.00pm
For more information please email ASTS.Openday2017@nt.gov.au or call 8952 1013.