Construction of the Top End’s new $16.7 million world-class tennis centre at Marrara has begun with 220 jobs expected to be created throughout the project.
Tennis NT General Manager Sam Gibson said the centre will also feature lighting that meets ITF standards, a club house, office accommodation and car parking.
“A major facility capable of hosting events and driving community participation has long been a strategic priority for Tennis NT, as such it’s exciting for Territory Tennis to see this facility coming to fruition,” said Mr Gibson.
“Contributing to the community is important for Tennis NT, we’re proud to be bringing this facility to Marrara hand in hand with our local contractors. We thank the NT Government for their continued support of tennis in the NT.”
“The facility is going to make a real statement, not only about tennis in the NT, but also about the NT’s love for sport. We saw the success of the Davis Cup tie held in Darwin in 2015, we plan to bring a variety of events to the facility to showcase the sport to Territorian’s and Darwin to our visitors.
A range of national and international events will be delivered at the venue including:
- Junior and Senior ITF Events
- The National Indigenous Tennis Carnival
- Legends Challenge (Exhibition)
- Darwin International (Challenger level)
- The facility will also create further opportunities for events such as Davis and Fed Cup Ties, Oceania Championships and participation in the Arafura Games