Portrait of a Senior Territorian Award
The Portrait of a Senior Territorian Award and exhibition celebrates the significant contributions senior Territorians make to our community and recognises outstanding Territory artists.
The Portrait of a Senior Territorian Award originally commenced as a one off event to celebrate the International Year of the Older Person in 1999 with support from the Northern Territory Government and the Moran Arts Foundation who host the prestigious $150,000 Doug Moran National Portrait Prize. The Award and exhibition has been held annually since 1999 and encourages the pursuit and attainment of excellence in creative endeavour by Territorian artists draws Territory wide interest and participation.
The 2019 exhibition
The exhibition will be hosted in the NT Library at Parliament House from 9 November to 15 December 2019. The Award and exhibition will be opened on 9 November 2019 along with the announcement of the awards winners, chosen by an esteemed panel of judges.
- First prize $7,000 Acquisition Award
- Second prize of $2,000
- Third prize of $500
- People's Choice prize $1000
The People’s Choice Prize is determined by public votes submitted across the exhibition period and is announced at the close of the exhibition.
People's choice voting has opened and will close on 15 December 2019 with the winner announced on 16 December 2019.
Who can enter
- The Award is open to artists aged 17 years and over who are residents of the Northern Territory
- Collaborative works are acceptable provided the name of each collaborating artist is clearly stated on the entry form
- The artwork must be an original painting by the entrant and completed no more than two years prior to the exhibition
- Portraits previously submitted to the Portrait of a Senior Territorian Award will not be accepted
- The artwork must be a portrait painted from life, with the subject known to the artist and aware of the artist’s intention with at least one live sitting
- The subject(s) must be living senior Territorians aged 60 years or over, who permanently reside in the Northern Territory
- The artwork must NOT exceed the size limit 1.5m x 1.2m. Dimensions include the mounting and/or framing
How to enter
Request an entry form, including terms and conditions, by:
Phone: 1800 678 237
Once you receive your entry form:
- take a photo of your completed artwork
- fill in and sign your entry form
Submit your completed entry form and photo by 15 October 2019, to:
GPO Box 1448
Darwin NT 0801
You will be notified by email if your artwork is selected to be included in the award. All selected artworks need to be delivered to the NT Library on 25 October 2019 between 9am and 6pm.
Deadlines for entry forms: 15 October 2019
Finalists notified: 18 October 2019
Artworks delivered on: 25 October 2019
Official opening: 8 November 2019
Exhibition: 9 November to 15 December 2019
Award winners announced: 8 November 2019
People's Choice winner announced: 16 December 2019
For more information call 1800 678 237 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 08 November 2019